Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sourdough Bread

Here is the basic sourdough bread recipe I use.  It's so tasty!!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 cup starter
1 tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour

You can leave the yeast out, but you will have to give your bread lots of time to rise.  I am impatient, so I add a bit of yeast.  This gives me that great sourdough taste, but a quicker rise.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  If the dough is sticky, add a bit more flour.

Cover lightly and let rise until doubled.

Punch down.

Shape into loaves.  This is the point where I put it in my greased loaf pans.

Let rise again until the dough is just above the edge of the pan.

Bake at 350*F until nicely browned.

A way to tell if the bread is done.  The outside is nicely browned.  Turn it out of the pan and give the bottom of the loaf a good thump.  The bread should sound a little like a drum.  A nice hollow sound means the bread is done.

Breadmaking is an art.  Sometimes it takes practice.  If your first couple of loaves don't turn out right, try again!  You'll get the feel for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment