Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cranberry Juice

I love cranberries!! 
I eat them in my oatmeal almost daily.  I like them in crisps.  I use cranberry sauce as the jelly on a PB&J sandwich.  Love those little berries!  I also love cranberry juice, but it's so expensive, and I don't like how much sugar it has.  I want to taste the cranberry, not the apple and pear juice!
I read a recipe online that says you can make a simple juice by putting one cup fresh cranberries and 1/3 cup sugar into each quart jar.  Then fill with hot water.  Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
 
After processing I just loved the colors in the jars as they turned into juice!
Look at those lovely berries!
Here is a jar of the juice the next day.  From what I understand, the juice will get stronger as you let it sit.  I was impatient, though, so I opened up a jar.  If it gets better as it sits, I'm in for some FREAKING AWESOME juice!!!  This stuff was great!
Just a note for your information...a 3lb bag of fresh berries makes 12 quarts of juice!

I did think it was a bit too sweet for me.  It wasn't as sweet as store bought juice, but I still wanted the cranberries to shine.  In my next batch I only put 1/4 cup sugar in each jar.
I did a few more jars using cranberries and blackberries.  I'll tell you how it turns out in a few days!


 

2 comments:

  1. Just made the same thing using grapes instead of cranberries...you think this would work with other fruit too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think it depends on the fruit. I'm pretty sure it would work with most berries. I'm not sure about other fruits. It would be worth trying in a jar or two though!

    ReplyDelete