Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Care and feeding of your sourdough starter!

I've recently rediscovered the joys of having a sourdough starter on hand.  This little jar of goodness lives in the back of my fridge, I drag it out maybe once a month for a stir and a feeding.  When I am ready for killer pancakes, flat bread, biscuits, or traditional sourdough bread I pull it out and put it to work!

I did not make my own starter.  I recieved a start from a friend.  I know she has had the same starter for years now.  There are plenty of recipes online, and even websites to order a starter from.  I don't have that info for you.  However, once you get a starter, I can help!

Housing:
Sourdough starter prefers a glass or ceramic container to hang out in.  A lid is a good idea, but it needs to not be air tight.  I use a glass crock with a non-sealing lid for mine.

Temperature:
I, personally, store my starter in the refrigerator.  This gives me the peace of mind knowing it won't go bad if I forget about it for a couple of weeks.  This does slow the starter down, and it will take a little longer in the recipes to do what sourdough does.

You can keep it on your counter if you know you are going to be using it often.  If you choose to keep it on the counter, feed and stir it at least once a week.

Feeding and Treats:
Once a month (or every week if out on the counter) you will need to feed and stir your starter.  Simply stir the starter, then remove 1 cup of starter.  You can use the starter in a recipe, or you can pour it down the sink. 
Add back in 1 cup of luke warm water and 1 cup of flour.
Give it a good stir!  Then place back in the fridge.

Each time you use some of the starter, just feed it then.  This will keep you in starter for eternity!  If you are like me, and want to share your starter, simply feed without removing any first.  This will build up the starter and you can dip out a cup to give to a friend.

Help! My starter is seperated and colorful!
Yep, it does that.  Your starter will seperate.  You will have a thicker goo on the bottom of the jar and a liquidy layer on the top.  That liquidy layer may even change colors.  It could be green, black, or brownish.  Any color is fine EXCEPT  red or orange.  If it turns red or orange, toss it.

Oh No!  I forgot all about it, I haven't fed it in months!
Well, what color is it?  If it is red or orange, toss it.  Any other color, you can revive it!

Reviving Your Starter
Take the container out of the fridge.  Let it warm up on the counter for an hour or two.  Drain off the liquid on top.  Take a cup of the goo from the bottom and set aside.  Clean your container out for your fresh starter.  Put your old goo into the fresh clean container.  While you are cleaning the container, put some water on to boil.  You want a nice fresh water without any contaminates.  Once it boils a bit, let it cool back to luke warm.  Think baby bath water.  You want to kick start the starter back into action.  Too hot, and you will kill it.
Stir in 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of the luke warm water.  Leave it on the counter over night to get started.
After it's night out, you can put it back in the fridge and go back to the normal care and feeding of your starter!

No comments:

Post a Comment