Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Three Bean Chili By The Jar

Today I'm canning chili!  I'm doing it by the jar so I don't have to make a huge pot of chili first.

The night before I put some kidney, pinto, and black beans to soak.  While I get all the prep work done for the chopped veggies, I put the beans on to simmer for 20 minutes.  I've found recipes that say to put the dry beans in there,  but I hate crunchy beans.  This way I know they will be cooked through.

In each pint jar layer....

1/2 peeled and chopped roma tomato
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup simmered beans
1/2 cup browned burger
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
2 Tablespoon green chilies (from a can)
2 Tablespoon tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup chicken broth

After all these ingredients were in the jars, I used a plastic spatula to go down the inside of the jars.  This got all the broth down into the air spaces between the beans and the burger.  I kept topping off the jars with hot water until it no longer went down into the air spaces when I used the spatula on the sides.  Then I filled each jar up to the 1 inch headspace line with hot water.  You could continue to use the chicken broth.  The amount I had heated up just happened to put 1/3 cup in each of my ten pint jars.

Process in a pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10lbs pressure (sea level).  Adjust process times accordingly for your altitude.

My inspiration for this came from here if you are interested in looking at their original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment