Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Watermelon Jelly

Watermelon jelly.  Sounds dreamy right?  Fresh watermelon is the best thing in the summer.  Wouldn't it be great to have that flavor in the winter too?!

Earlier this week I was inspired by this post.  The color of that watermelon jam just screamed at me!  Oh, cool watermelon on toast!  That just sounded heavenly.  So, I decided to try it!  Here are my alterations and how it all turned out.


Watermelon Jelly
1 seedless watermelon
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons of low/no sugar pectin (equals one box)

The first step is to crush all the juice out of the melon.  I used my food strainer, but it was still some work.  You will need a total of 6 cups of juice.  I didn't quite use one good sized seedless melon.

Put the juice, lemon juice, and sugar in a big pot and bring to a rolling boil.  Stir constantly. Keep it at a rolling boil for five minutes.  Then add in the pectin powder.

Bring back to a rolling boil and keep boiling for another 5 minutes.  Keep stirring!

Ladle into prepared jars and waterbath for ten minutes.

This recipe made eight 4oz jars and one pint of jelly.

Now, I opened up a jar this morning for my toast.  MMMMM!  But not what I expected.  It was a very soft set.  Most of my jelly is because it is low sugar.  It has a very mild sweet flavor.  Almost like grape jelly.  I don't taste watermelon at all.  It is good though!  So, if you want a nice mild sweet jelly that is a beautiful pink color (pictures don't do it justice!), make some!  If you are wanting that sweet melon flavor...not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment