Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Verna's Bean Casserole

Every month our church has a potluck lunch.  The one dish that always leaves empty is Verna's Bean Casserole.  It is delicious!  I have the church cookbook, and discovered the recipe is in there.  I was so excited!  I wanted to can this little bit of heaven and be able to have it for lunch at work, just like I have my homemade soups.  Then I realized several of the ingredients were from a can or frozen bag.  Dang.
This post is going to be my adventure of altering the original recipe from it's current form to a from scratch version that I can put through the pressure canner.  This morning I'll post the original recipe.  As I figure out how I want to change things, and find recipes to use, I'll come back and edit.  Hopefully, by the end, I'll have a lovely version of Verna's Bean Casserole from scratch.

Verna's Bean Casserole
from The Fruit of Our Labor Raymond First Baptist Cookbook 2003

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1 tsp salt
1 (1lb) can red kidney beans
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 (No.2) can pork and beans
1 (12oz) package frozen lima beans

Saute beef and onions in large skillet.  Add sugar, catsup, salt, chili powder, vinegar and prepared mustard.  Stir well.  Add pork and beans, red kidney beans and lima beans.  Pour all ingredients in greased casserole and bake at 350* for 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment