Sunday, October 21, 2012

Taco Soup Old and New

I love Taco Soup.  It seems like everyone has their own little spin on this lovely, body warming, soup.  It's great on cold fall days when you need something warm to fill your belly.  It's also really great for parties.  The first recipe is the one I started with.  It was given to me by a friend.  The recipe card is worn and stained and will always have a place in my file.  The second recipe is the one I use more often now.  Only because I am trying to get away from the preprocessed foods.  I do still use the taco seasoning packet because I haven't figured out my own mixture yet.  If anyone has a recipe they would like to share for the taco seasoning, I'd sure appreciate it!

Taco Soup Original Recipe
1 can corn (undrained)
1 can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can olives sliced
1 lb browned burger
1 packet taco seasoning
Tortilla chips and taco toppings (cheese, sour cream, etc.)
Combine first seven ingredients in crockpot or soup pot.  Simmer until hot.  Serve with tortilla chips and toppings.


My altered Taco Soup Recipe
1 lb ground beef
3 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion minced
3 tomatoes chopped
1 cup dried kidney beans
1 cup dried black beans
1 cup dried pinto beans
1 can tomato sauce
4 cups of chicken broth
4 tablespoons of taco seasoning (this would be just over 1 packet)
2 cups frozen kernal corn
Taco Toppings (shredded cheese, sliced olives, etc.)
Tortilla chips
Soak the three kinds of beans over night in the fridge.  Drain and rinse.
Brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic until cooked through.  Drain fat.
Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning, tomato sauce and beans.
Simmer until beans are done (or if canning just 30 minutes).
Add corn.
Serve with shredded cheese, olives, sour cream and tortilla chips.
If canning, this recipe made 8 pints of soup.  Process in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment