Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Blackberry/Blueberry Jelly

Spring is finally here and I can see the berry bushes greening up for another bountiful crop.  I always freeze some berries at harvest because I like to use them throughout the winter in cobblers, crisps, and muffins.  The berries that are left come spring, turn into lovely mixed berry jelly.
(sorry the pic is so blurry, I took it with my phone)

I used..
*8 quart cooking pot
*big spoon (if wooden, it will stain)
*a big ladle to transfer into jars
*enough frozen berries to fill the pot
*2 tablespoons unsalted butter
*a jelly strainer
*12 half pint jelly jars, lids, bands
*1 pint jelly jar, lid, band
*water bath canning pot
*jar lifter (think giant tongs to reach into boiling water with)
*canning funnel (not necessary, but OH SO handy!)
*wire rack to keep jars off the bottom of your water bath canning pot
*towel you aren't worried about staining
*a washcloth or rag you aren't worried about staining
*two boxes of no sugar pectin
*4 cups sugar

This is an 8quart cooking pot filled to the brim with frozen blackberries and blueberries and the butter.  This will keep the juice from foaming.  I also added 2 cups of water to get the juice started.  Cook this over a high simmer for about three hours, stirring about every 15 minutes or so.  The berries will break down into a lovely juice.  As the berries break down, you will need to turn the heat down even more.  You don't want these to boil, just simmer and cook down.
I personally hate blackberry seeds in my teeth.  So, I always use a jelly strainer for blackberries.  Set your strainer up over a large bowl.  You should end up with just over 8 cups of juice. After you have strained all the pulp and seeds out, transfer your juice back into your cooking pot.
This is about the time that I put my jars, lids, and bands into the dishwasher for a good sanitizing wash.  If you don't have a dishwasher, boil your jars, lids, and bands.  You also need to get that giant water bath canner started to boil.  I know mine takes over an hour to get it boiling.  (My stovetop is slow like that.) Once your jars are about 15 minutes from ready we can take the next step in jelly making.
I use no sugar pectin because I am flat out offended by recipes that call for more sugar than fruit juice in jelly.  If I wanted sugar water in jelly form, I'd put Jello on my toast!  Blackberries are tart, they do need sugar to sweeten them up.  Measure 4 cups of sugar into a bowl to be ready when you need it.  Also, open up the pectin boxes and have your scissors ready.  The next few minutes you need to keep your juice stirring, so you want everything ready to pour in one handed.
Turn your juice on high and keep it stirring.  I added in the pectin just before it started to boil.  Stir like crazy at this point to get the pectin all broken down.  You don't want chunks of pectin in your jelly.  Once the pectin is all broken down and mixed in, add the sugar.  Keep your juice moving!  Once it comes to a full boil, set the time for one minute and stir!  When the timer goes off, pull the pan off the burner and let it rest while you set up the jars.
Put a towel on your counter that you aren't worried about staining.  Set your hot jars on this towel all lined up and close to your pan of jelly.  Using the funnel and ladle, fill your jars with the hot jelly.  Don't forget to leave an inch of head space (empty jar) at the top.  I have found that my funnel goes into the jar just the right amount.  I fill the jars right up to the bottom of the funnel.  I filled all 12 half pint jars and another half of the pint jar.  I did not water bath the half full jar, that went directly into the refrigerator to use first.
Take the washcloth or rag and dampen it.  Wipe off the rims of the jelly jars.  You want a nice clean surface for the lids to seal to.  Put a lid and band on each of the jars.  The bands don't need to be super tight, just spin them on like you would if you were closing jelly to go back in the refrigerator.
Load your jelly jars onto the wire rack.   I was able to fit all 12 jars on at once.  Make sure your water bath canner is at a FULL ROLLING boil.  Use your jar lifter to lift the whole rack into your water bath canner.  Put the lid on and set the timer for ten minutes.
After the timer has gone off, use your jar lifter to remove the jars one by one and set them on the towel to cool.  As the minutes pass, you should hear the lovely popping sound of jars sealing.  That is one of my favorite sounds!
After your jelly has had a chance to cool, check to make sure all the little buttons on the top of the jars has gone down.  This is your way of knowing if the jars have sealed properly.
All that is left is to label and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment