Saturday, April 20, 2013

What's On Sale Wednesday : Green Beans

This week the local grocery store had fresh green beans on sale for $0.99 per pound.  This was the best deal in the produce section for me.
I bought six pounds of these little lovelies.

I know from past canning that I can fit about a pound of green beans in each quart jar.  Green beans aren't my children's favorite veggie, so six quarts will last us a while.

First step to canning fresh green beans is to cut the ends off.
 
I like to have cut green beans for canning.  I think they are easier to pack in jars when they have been cut.  So, I cut them into bite size chunks.  Then wash them up.  Also, as you are cutting and washing, keep an eye out for any brown spots.  Remember, the higher quality the ingredient is when you can it, the higher quality it will be when you eat it.

Once you have the green beans all cut and washed, pack them into your prepared jars.  Fill to the one inch headspace with hot water.  If you want to add salt, now is the time.  I don't add salt because we prefer to salt individually once everything is cooked.  Wipe the rims and place your lids and rings.
Process at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes for quarts.  This batch made five quarts and one pint of green beans.  It would have been six quarts, but I decided to use some of them fresh for dinner that night.
 
**Remember, check the instructions on your pressure canner instructions for your altitude.  All of my instructions are for sea level processing times and weights.**

No comments:

Post a Comment