Monday, June 4, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

Oh, this pie is so heavenly! I was amazed by how many eggs it takes, but it is worth EVERY one! This will give you some good practice seperating eggs if you haven't practiced before. I always crack eggs into a small custard dish, then pour the egg over my hand into the whites bowl. The whites go through my fingers, then I can set the yolk into the other bowl. Many people rock the yolk back and forth between the egg shells. I tend to break the yolk when I do it this way.
This is a time consuming recipe. From start to finish it takes several hours. It is so delicious though, I am willing to work and wait!

Lemon Meringue Pie
Ingredients:
16 eggs
4 cup sugar – divided (2 for filling 2 for meringue)
2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pie crust (I like graham)

1. Preheat oven to 325*F.
2. Separate yolks and whites of all 16 eggs into separate bowls.
3. Using an electric mixer get the whites started whisking for the meringue. This will take a while to form nice high peaks.
4. In a medium sauce pan, whisk the yolks and 2 cups of the sugar together. Add the lemon juice and stir.
5. Heat on low and stir with a flat ended spoon or spatula until it thickens up. Stir the entire time and keep scraping the bottom of the pan. You want to cook the egg yolks, but not end up with scrambled eggs. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Be patient!
6. Immediately transfer the lemon mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly.
7. By now your meringue should be starting to get nice peaks. SLOWLY add the two cups of sugar into the meringue. It will make your peaks fall, just keep it whisking until the peaks form again.
8. Top your pie with meringue! You will end up with extra meringue; I like to use it for meringue cookies.
9. Bake your pie at 325*F for about an hour or until the meringue has a nice golden brown top.

Allow to cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment