Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Old Cookbooks

I just love old cookbooks.  I mean REALLY old cookbooks.  I love that their recipes never call for a box of mix or a can of condensed soup.  The ingredients are whole, simple, and usually inexpensive.  I love the references to old fashioned cookery and kitchen utensils. 
The only thing I don't love about old cookbooks are the measurements and some of the cooking directions.  As the kitchen has modernized over the last hundred years, our directions for recipes have changed.  No longer are you asked to measure your flour in pints.  No longer are you asked for a "moderate" temperature in the oven.

This blog is my own personal adventure in bygone recipes and cookbooks of yesteryear.  I am going to post original recipes and my own modern variations of them.  I will try to stay as close to the original ingredients as possible.  I believe it's time to bring real food back into our kitchens.

I hope you will join me in my adventure!  Please post your attempts with old fashioned recipes and suggestions of different ways to try old things.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading your blog postings! I have a very old cookbook that belonged to my g-grandma (and I am almost 60). I do remember seeing some very strange recipes in it. One being for bear. I don't think I would try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, JLynn, bear is quite tasty! I was given some to try many years ago by a hunter we knew. If offered some more, I would definately take it!

    ReplyDelete