Monday, December 24, 2012

Sourdough Flatbread

I love sourdough bread.  Recently, I recieved a sourdough culture so I could make my own sourdough items.  I have found that I don't really want sourdough bread every week.  However, you are supposed to use the starter every week then feed it.  I have been trying to find different recipes to use so the starter doesn't go to waste.
I found this recipe for sourdough flatbread and my family really enjoyed it!

Sourdough Flatbread
Adapted from My kitchen addiction blog
Makes eight flatbreads.

  • 1 cup unfed sourdough starter (straight from the fridge)
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used whole)
  • 1 small container nonfat Greek yogurt

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups white flour
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter

Combine the sourdough starter, milk, and yogurt in a large mixing bowl.  Whisk together until smooth.  Then stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rest for an hour or so.
Set up an area to knead the dough with more flour.  It starts out pretty sticky, you will need at least one more cup of flour.
Knead the dough until smooth.
Divide the dough into eight balls.
Heat a heavy frying pan over a medium heat.
Squish one of the dough balls into a flatbread.  This doesn't need to be perfect.  Just use your hands and flatten it!  I squished mine until they were about a quarter of an inch thick.
Melt some butter in your frying pan and add in the flatbread.  Cook for about a minute or two on each side.  You should have nice golden brown spots all over the flatbread when it is done.  While it is cooking, squish out the next piece.

These were sooo good!  They were delicious with our lasagna soup for dinner.  My eleven year old suggested that I make more to use in lunches for the bread in sandwiches.
Of course I forgot to take pictures of the process.  Here is a picture of the leftovers.  I am planning to eat these for lunch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment